Pages

Monday, March 1, 2010

Never Say Never

I have been following this sweet, strong little girl named Layla Grace. She is currently loosing her battle with Stage 4 neuroblastoma. I have been praying very hard for a miracle for this amazing little fighter. It has broke my heart for her family. Its really funny how much life changes when you have a child of your own. Its something you just can't understand until you have one. I have always been an emotional and very empathetic person. I would listen to stories such as Layla's and wonder why and think, oh how sad. Now, I can't just leave it at that. I think about the mother and the heartbreak that she is feeling. As with Layla, I think about her mom and the pain she has had to endure while watching her baby go through such horrific things. The five days we spent in the hospital with Addy were the worst that I have experienced as a parent thus far. The IV that had me so worked up with Addy was nothing compared to the chemo and radiation that Layla experienced. And yet, she knows no other life. The saddest part to me is that this is one of the most common types of infancy cancer. And wait, it gets worse....this is something that can be detected at birth by a urine sample. Why isn't that something hospitals test all newborns for. I know it would be expensive, but isn't it worth it? Layla's short little life has been a true testimony of faith. Her family's faith and strength have truly inspired me.

So last night after reading the new blog post that Layla's dad posted, I began to feel like I just wanted to go wake Addy up and cuddle. Life is just to uncertain. Layla's parents put there healthy baby to bed at seven months and never dreamed that her little life was going to be so short. Its not like I am going overboard here acting like Addy is going to get cancer...I just felt the need to cuddle last night. So I did something that I said I would NEVER do as a parent. I went and got my little girl out of her bed last night and brought her to bed with Bradley and I. Not that its that big of a deal, Bradley and I just personally don't believe in co-sleeping. However, it was just what I needed last night. I was pretty worried about rolling on her or something crazy, so I honestly didn't sleep much at all. It was ok though, I just laid there praying for Layla and her family, as well as thanking God for all that we have, and especially my healthy sweet girl! So never say never, because sometimes it's just what the Doctor ordered. It's definitley not something we will continue...I need sleep!

Speaking of my big girl...

She is a crazy little mover! She is scooting everywhere and we love it! She is talking like crazy and has her first two little teeth! They aren't up high enough for a picture, but they are finally through the gums! Thank goodness!

Be sure to hug your loved ones a little tighter tonight and say a prayer for Layla Grace!

No comments:

Post a Comment