Pages

Thursday, April 7, 2011

Big Changes

\The Anderle family has had some big changes lately. It has been such a crazy semester, and we have many more weeks to go! We have also been blessed immeasurably and we are very grateful for that also.

The first big change is that we have officially moved!! The house my parents bought for us to move out here for college is closing next week. We have moved into an apartment for the time being and are loving it!! It is a little sentimental to me to move since we began our marriage and our family in that home. We are excited about the possibilities of the future, and we are loving our new home.

Another big thing we have had going on over here is I finally got some answers to all my 'health issues.' It has been such a rocky journey of back and forth, up and down, doctor to doctor, but we have finally gotten a diagnosis....Lupus and Anti-Phospholipid syndrome. It all started in January when I really thought I had mono. Another 3rd grade teacher had just gotten over it and I assumed typical me, catching anything that was in the air. I went in for testing, and both mono and flu came back negative. That was a good thing, but the Dr felt like there was more serious issues. My platelets were very low, and coupled with the fatigue, weakness, and weight loss my doctor felt the need to send me on to a hematologist.

I saw the hematologist twice. Once to visit and run tests, and the second time to figure out the findings. He determined that I did have an auto-immune disease and that there was some need for concern with my platelets still being so low. He then referred me to a rheumatologist for further diagnosis and treatment.

My rheumatologist was very full of information. After talking to him he felt that there was a very good chance that I had either lupus or anti-phospholipid syndrome. So of course he sent me for lots more blood work!! He also put me on an aspirin a day to help prevent clots. Apparently the lower your platelets the higher risk you are for a blood clot. Seems backwards to me, but I'm no doctor.

On Thursday, March 31st I had an 'episode' at school. For those of you that went to high school with me you are fully aware of what that means. I never lose consciousness, but I don't remember anything from the during of it. I have never, of course seen myself, but apparently it looks a lot like a seizure, hyperventilation, intense shaking, and tightened muscles. I luckily had a TA in my room. I remember getting so dizzy and calling the principal on my walkie talkie to please send someone to watch my class for a few minutes because I needed to lay down...and it was down hill from there.

I went back to the rheumatologist the next day and after evaluating the lab work I had done previously and the information about my 'episode' he felt sure that I had a mini-stroke. He also let me know that the lab work showed definite antibodies for both lupus and anti-phospholipid syndrome.

It was a lot of hard to hear info. I am at a very high risk of a blood clot. If I have another mini-stroke I will be put on coumadin blood thinner, most likely for the rest of my life. I will have to be very closely monitored throughout pregnancy next time and possibly need blood thinning shots to the belly. Lupus goes dormant during pregnancy, but that is when the anti-phospholipid really shows up, and makes miscarriage very likely. I have been told by several doctors how lucky I am that Addy was such an easy pregnancy and complication free (if you count throwing up for five months easy... )

However, at this point I am just taking an aspirin a day and on a medication to regulate the lupus. It is supposed to help with the fatigue also, and it has. I am so blessed that I was able to get all of this diagnosed and begin to treat these autoimmune diseases.

Lots of changes lately, definitely, but we have blessed through them all!!!


Then again,



Some things never change.....
(Like this goofball and her messy face, anything goes stylin')

No comments:

Post a Comment